Welcome to the City of Peru Building and Zoning Department. The Building and Zoning Department is responsible for all phases of construction, permitting and inspections within the City. The Department reviews plans, issues permits and conducts field inspections for all construction projects ranging from a backyard shed to commercial projects. The review of building plans, issuance of permits and conducting inspections are all done in an effort to protect health, safety and general welfare of City residents.
All contractors, residental/commerical must be registered to work within the City of Peru.
The City has adopted and enforces the following National Codes:
- International Building Code (IBC) – 2018 Edition
- International Residential Code for One-and two-Family Dwellings (IRC) – 2018 Edition
- International Fire Code (IFC) – 2018 Edition
- International Plumbing Code (IPC) – 2018 Edition: (For roof drainage and section 403.3.2)
- International Mechanical Code (IMC) – 2018 Edition
- International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) – 2018 Edition
- International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC) – 2018 Edition
- International Existing Building Code (IEBC) – 2018 Edition
- International Property maintenance Code (IPMC) – 2018 Edition
- National Electrical Code (NEC) – 2017 Edition – NFPA 70
- State of Illinois Plumbing Code – 2014 Edition – Title 77 Part 890
- Illinois Energy Conservation Code – 2015 Edition – Title 71 Part 600
- Illinois Accessibility Code – 1997 Edition – Title 71 Part 400
- Illinois Radon Resistant Construction Act – 2013 Edition – 420 ILCS 52
- Illinois Elevator Safety Act – 2007 Edition – Title 41 Part 1000
- Illinois Smoke Detector Act – 1987 Edition – 425 ILCS 60
- Illinois Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector Act – 2007 Edition – 425 ILCS 135
In an effort to ensure quality standards above and beyond those in the model codes, the City has also amended by ordinance, certain sections in each of these codes. See Chapter 22 Building Codes.
Director of Engineering and Zoning-Eric Carls, P.E.
1901 4th Street
Peru, IL 61354
Phone: (815) 223-1148
Fax: (815) 223-9381